Tuesday 8 February 2011

DIA DE LOS MUERTOS
Shadows

DIA DE LOS MUERTO

There is a story behind this one. One particular song haunted me for hours today. I heard it first some ten years ago as a soundtrack to the wonderful clay animation short movie "Hasta los huesos" by René Castillo (a.k.a. "Down to the Bone"). It was Spanish traditional "La Llorona" (The Weeping Woman) performed by Eugenia León and Cafe Tacuba.

I was planning to do something else for today but there was that skeleton hanging on the kitchen door (don't ask). 2+5=9, Dia de los Muertos!

A word of precaution: "Hasta los huesos" is NSFW and not for a weak-hearted. :)

Since pop oriented Cafe Tacuba is not really my thing, here's my soundtrack for today. Los Lobos - La Pistola y el Corazón.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a fantastic prop to use to make shadows, and I am afraid I HAVE to ask - skeleton on the kitchen door??!?!

    Looks like you have burned in the left side, or curved the shadows in quite dramatically because they aren't as dark between the actual bones. That fantastic sidelighting is essential for those lovely enlarged shadows! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shadow! It seems to tell the story of the inanimate skeleton. I'd forgotten about Los Lobos; thanks for triggering my memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shadow is amazing, almost surreal but then again that was of course intended. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, it's burned to the extreme the "natural way". No selective editing involved. I was gradually raising light power to gain more contrast when the plastic skeleton started to glow and bounce the light all over the place. I've turned it to the max and shot the result. It was quite unexpected and almost unreal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I love the shadow the most. Almost looks like the shadow is running away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously what is interesting here is the shadow. What I love about it is how alive it seems. The skeleton itself: rigid and the shadow: in movement. To me, when I look at this, I see death and life. I see a man who once was, and the shadow shows me who he was. This image brings to mind many analogies and can be interpreted so many ways. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely done. That shadow is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think an image of just the shadow would be fabulous as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shadow runs circles around my shadow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little fella looks as though he is dancing...the shadows are wonderful
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete