Wednesday 9 February 2011

MACHINERY
Underlighting

MACHINERY

I had this idea yesterday but skeleton had won. Since it's very simple shot, I did it today. Prop used: spiral bevel pinion (hypoid gear). And yes, I really like clean, minimalistic images like this one. :)

When I first heard Sinking of the Titanic by Gavin Bryars, I was truly impressed. The amount of details, the research that preceded the first version, the evolvement of (rare) performances... and machinery noises. ;) This is a very long ambiental piece (up to one hour) so don't bother if that's not your thing. Linked video is only an excerpt.

"In the various performing versions of The Sinking of the Titanic made since its inception in 1969, the starting point for the piece has been the hymn-tune "Autumn," following the evidence of the surviving wireless operator Harold Bride. He told the New York Times in April 1912 :"....the band was still playing. I guess all of the band went down. They were playing Autumn then. I swam with all my might. I suppose I was 150 feet away when the Titanic on her nose, with her after-quartet sticking straight up in the air, began to settle - slowly.... the way the band kept playing was a noble thing..... and the last I saw of the band, when I was floating out in the sea with my lifebelt on, it was still on deck playing Autumn. How they ever did it I cannot imagine." (from gavinbryars.com)

9 comments:

  1. And you like clean props too! :) Having most of the negative space under the pinion works really well for this mechanical bit. What a beautiful heart-wrenching piece of music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's some clean bit of machine tool! And a fantastic shot. However did you get it floating up in the air like that? It looks too heavy to be steady as a hanging ornament! Or is it just a white canvas/surface for the underlighting to shine through? Great minimalism. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! This is the kond of image I REALLY like. A real pleasure to view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting the way it's hanging there in the air, when it's clearly a heavy piece of metal. Great composition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oftentimes we like the subject to be low in the scene to ground it, but this one just works floating up there; I think it has to do with how heavy it looks and how unbelievable to see it look almost as light as a balloon. Cool shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The black oval is a perfect foil for all the negative white space at the bottom. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job with the metallic color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normally I would comment about the subject floating in space but this one somehow intruiges me to much. Wonderful detail as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have done lots of shots of cutters and machinery parts, and never thought of under lighting for them...thanks for the great tip!
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete