Saturday 15 January 2011

WILD BUNCH
Animal portrait

Wild Bunch

The plan was very simple, two continuous lights setup, white background and a bit of luck. Yeah, right. These little fur balls weren’t interested at all. I ended up chasing them through the flat with ISO1600 and available light. Kittens are fast! So here it is, bed-shot with ceiling light and a small ambient lamp on the wall – true studio environment. :-)

Austrian scientists have found that cats appear to prefer instruments such as the oboe and deep bass, as well as male voice choirs. They made this discovery by filming cats as they listened to various types of music and observing whether they moved closer to or further away from the speakers. Overall, they found that cats prefer fast beats to slow beats, and deep tones to high-pitched notes.“ (Jennifer Copley)

Fast beats and deep tones? I got something cats might like, Zawinul Syndicate – Zanza (live from the North Sea Jazz Festival). Requiescat in pace, Joe.

15 comments:

  1. Well shot! The background is lovely and white. A very nice animal portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this little black furball from the future? ;)
    What a treat to get a wonderful photo and accompanying music. I could imagine your kittens being very playful while listening to Zawinul Syndicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally jealous! I want a pair of kittens prancing all over my house to shoot for 30 days. Great shot and wonderful start to the challenge. Thank you for the music link as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so gorgeous! Such a wonderful portrait of them, and they look so playful. A fantastic start to the month of shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have caught the intense concentration of the white fur ball, who is in just enough focus to make this delightful.
    MsadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this photo! Great DOF and lighting - can't believe it was a bedroom ceiling light. Great start. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I visit your blog, I am treated not only to gorgeous shots but to a whole experience. From beautiful excerpts, to the music, to the photo back stories... you really know how to take it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little ones look gorgeous. As always I enjoyed your background story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic shot. You've set the bar high for the other 29 days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recognise this kitten ;)
    What a great starter shot to your challenge, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jujubie and cl_UK, oh, how wrong you are. :)

    It's been almost three months since 2210 (ha, what a weird thing to say) and kittens are growing fast. Black kitty from the Citizen is almost doubled now! Besides, this one is a brand new model and not completely black (look at his chest). :)

    BTW, thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate your time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so cute.
    What a great use of DoF. and whata great angle you have used here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you did a wonderful job capturing their character! Love this!
    mmc9496

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, how sweet are they. I want to cuddle one now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool first photo. When I saw it I knew we'd get some cool photos from here on! I love the DoF in the photo!

    ReplyDelete