Sunday 16 January 2011

AIRPLANE
Architecture

Airplane

I wanted to start today’s ramble with “I had an idea” but there wasn’t any. Things are just happening. It was 8:15AM and the day looked promising. I was just returning home when I spotted the ray of winter morning sunlight on the Cathedral walls. The angle was perfect for a weird single tower shot but also there was that airplane, approaching quickly. Instead of thinking about cloning the contrails, I’ve decided to take a picture of an airplane. So this is my airplane shot and the under construction Cathedral tower just got in the way. :-)

It felt good to have something ready that early. And I’ve picked the tune for the day while waiting for Godot. :-) The keyword for today is freedom.

“For the first time ever, Abdullah Ibrahim, formerly known as Dollar Brand, went to Robben Island, where Mandela was imprisoned. All forms of music were banned. A lawyer smuggled one of Abdullah's songs into the control room, blocked the doors and played it over the loudspeakers. Mandela's first sound of music in decades.” (Source: YouTube)

Maybe a jazz myth, maybe not, but Abdullah Ibrahim really visited Robben Island. Anyway, here’s the masterpiece: Mannenberg – extended version from the “Voice of Africa” album. Enjoy if that's your kind of thing.

15 comments:

  1. Clever! The airplane makes the building seem ever so tall! You were right to jump in and catch this wonderful golden light. Thank you for the extended Mannenberg; it complements many emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ... I didn't even see the plane until I read your comment. Couldn't figure why you called the building a plane when it's clearly a rocket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice way to document the cathedral construction
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning lighting. I actually don't think you've taken a photo of an aeroplane. I think it's Superman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely golden winterlight. I was there last summer, much harsher light. I assume it's the tower on the right but it seems they increased the scaffolding upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andromeda5000: I think it's Superman.

    Superman with vapour trails? And all that crypt-o-nite below? I don't think so. It must be Ironman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Secretatlantis:

    You remember well, it's the right tower. And yes, the scaffolds are a little higher now. It seems they'll never finish it. It's like they have a city of their own up there, shops, restaurants, entertainment floors and fully developed public transportation system. ;)

    I'm so sorry I wasn't here while you were visiting Zagreb. Next time we'll organize a wild Worthmeet party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely light! How lucky to have that cool vapour trail - well done for being ready to shoot at a moments' notice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another excellent post! It is a pleasure to visit your blog each day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the color of the building against the grey of the sky and te airplane trail.
    What a great shot.

    egonlinden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! I love the color the sun added to the building.
    mmc9496

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the plane passing through the shot, it makes it more exciting. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome shot, and much better for not having removed the aeroplane and its trail. The scaffolding really does make the tower look weird. Very nice work for your architecture shot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The building looks so big, excellent crop! And then you see the plane, and it's still so small because of the distance.

    ReplyDelete